Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Intentions

At the beginning of yoga class, teachers often say "close your eyes and set an intention for your practice."  Again at the end of class they will ask the class to recall their intentions.

My intentions vary.  Originally they were along the lines of, "Intention?  What the hell's an Intention?".  After a few months of that I began setting the intention, "To Survive the Class". 

Now my most common intention has been "Healing for Myself."  Some days I practice at a higher level and intend, "Healing for Others" or "Being a Good and Holy Person All Day Long" or the simplified version of that, "Not Being a Snot to My Family". 

Today the intention that came to me was "Strength".  To be strong in class and after class.  I'm not the strongest practitioner.  I'm a back row weenie.  I do chaturangas on my knees and side plank with one knee down.  Headstands are science fiction.  

But today was my Strong day.  Even so, there came a point when I substituted a "Fuck That Asana" and just lay on my back while the rest of the class did ab work.  Still, it was a great practice - one of my best.  I like practicing next to Josh who also modifies all of his poses. 

I'm going to start keeping a list of my yoga intentions in the word processing document where I keep a daily weight log.  Today will read:

February 2, 2011 STRENGTH  142 pounds

(Which is not really my fault.  It must have been last night's salty Gruyere and Sausage Stratta that did it, or maybe it was the third serving.  So much for good intentions.)

5 comments:

  1. Very funny. I enjoyed this....thanks for thinking of me as a "yoga friend." I've got couch pose down flat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you kill me! My intention is sleep at the moment, and it is clearly NOT working.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm, it's really 5:25 am so your blog clock is on pacific time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this Diane! so revealing and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yeah now i see how you snuck in sausage strata at the end there.

    ReplyDelete